Questions to Ask Before Starting a Website Redesign
How to Get What You Want from Your Website Designer
If you've been involved in the design of your company's web site, you probably already know how difficult it can be to convey the type of website design you want.
Website design is a matter of personal taste. What one person finds attractive and professional, you may not and vice versa. Oftentimes, what you want is a matter of "I'll know it when I see it," but unless your graphic designer is a mind reader, that's not enough information to assure you'll get what you visualized in your own head.
Below is a list of 20 questions to help you solidify in your own mind and communicate to your website designer the look and feel you believe would best represent your company.
Website Design Questions
- Do you prefer website designs that contain many different colors or designs that use fewer colors?
- Do you prefer bright colors or muted colors?
- Do you prefer website designs that have white backgrounds behind the text or colored backgrounds behind the text?
- Do you prefer sites with black type for the main text or those with colored type for the main text?
- Do you prefer website designs with a horizontal layout or a vertical layout?
- Regarding navigation, which button locations do you prefer - horizontal across the top, down the left or the right side, in blocks, or a combination of some horizontal and some vertical?
- Do you want a straightforward, rendering of the logo, or would prefer something with more color gradation or artistic treatment as an example)?
- Does your company have a motto or tagline that should be incorporated into the design?
- If yes, do you prefer the site tagline in a straightforward, headline-style format or do you prefer a more stylized format?
- Some sites have faded terms related to their businesses embedded in images -Do you like this technique?
- Do you prefer sites with actual product images, or those with stock photographs that evoke specific responses, such as a sense of dependability or professionalism?
- Do you prefer website designs with straightforward, realistic photographs of products or those that contain artistically altered images of products?
- Do you prefer to have your product images on the left side, along the top or down the right side?
- Are there any logos for industry quality, certification programs or association memberships that should be part of the site's design?
For assistance with your website redesign and search engine optimization
project, contact Pilot Fish at